Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cigarettes and Bureaucracy

Been watching 200 Cigarettes a bunch lately- (I watch the same movies over and over again in case you don’t know me…) The movie basically takes place in my neighborhood, Alphabet City in Manhattan, and it is hysterical to see how the area used to be so run down and scary, which, now, it is not.
Eh well… I guess we’ll always have Detroit- I swear the day Detroit is no longer scary to the suburbanites, pop-punkers and emo kids, is the day I roll over and cry.
I LOVE that America hates Detroit. Fine with me. We can keep it to ourselves. The Music (too many to name), the legends (Iggy, Madonna, the NUGE,) the crumbling landmarks (train station, Tigers Stadium, Bell Aisle Aquarium, the economy) will live on in my heart forever. You think New York bureaucracy is messed up- Poor Detroit has little hope beyond what the failing sports teams bring to the table. A city with a mayor who has parties where strippers die and gets away with it is not a city that will thrive. Literally. The mayor got away with murder. Who wants to spend precious time running a city when you can hang out back stage at Hip Hop shows and kill strippers and get away with it.
Sorry. Tangent.
Back to the movie-
This kid I know is an extra in the movie and it is HILARIOUS! He is in a scene where Christina Ricci and her whiney best friend are at a show somewhere on Avenue B- and I was told to keep a look out for him because he was going to great lengths to make sure he was on camera- and oh man was he ever. The movie is great on its own but seeing this kid’s floating head in the crowd making funny faces and fighting past people to be on camera makes it so much better. And Paul Rudd is just genius in it. Positively genius. Very Wet Hot American Summer.
The shins show was amazing last night by the way. It was packed and all but it was GREAT! Been listening to Wincing the Night Away all day! *Sigh* I love that band. 4 song encore including a Pink Floyd Cover and all the Oh Inverted World and Chutes too Narrow my heart could take before practically Bursting out of my chest!

Big props and thank yous to my coworker that sprung tickers on me at 3 PM yesterday-

P.S. I love my new phone. I guess I would love any phone after coming out of the shell shock that is owning and operating a Nokia E62 for 7 months. But really. Having a good phone is so important in this day and age. Heed My Words people. Don’t buy a crap phone because it looks cool- I mean come on- aren’t we advanced enough to NOT have to look out for crappy technology? There is just too much good competition out there- I may look into suing Nokia for the emotional trauma that phone caused me. I used to get defensive when people would tell me how bad the phone I had was. But Just Saturday night- I was at the bar and after some random Steve bought Reena and I shots- I spent a half hour telling him how bad his Nokia E62 sucked! Then left. I think I forgot to thank him for the shot. Oh well. He was ugly. And had a stupid phone.

3 comments:

Reena Goodwin said...

wait. someone bought us shots??

Chris K said...

Glad you like the new phone. How's the keyboard for texting / emails? Sorry about the old one too since I suggested it :(

sparty569 said...

I cant wait to get my new phone...the Verizon iPhone wanna be called the Voyager. Gay name, but looks to be a cool phone. Good technology, solid phone. But you know me...I always have to have a cool phone.